Thursday, June 14, 2012

What I Saw Enroute to Rio + 20

I will be attending the Rio+20 Conference at Rio De Janeiro for the next two week. Perhaps should pen something interesting thing about small green but meaningful initiatives for sharing. On 11th June, while waiting to board the plane at KLIA, I visited the mini forest at the concourse area of the satellite building. It is such an enlightening experience of enjoying the fresh air, greenery and at time the sound of birds. I believe this is of the reflection the theme of the airport as Forest in the Airport. Hopefully the larger picture of having Airport Within A Forest can be realised the soonest, as promised when the idea of building new airport at Sepang was conceived. Early morning 5.30 am local time (11.30am in Malaysia) of Netherlands, I was loitering around the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport while waiting to board the plane again to Sao Paolo, Brazil at 10.05am. I cannot failed to notice the wording of "Please feed me, I am hungry” at the 3 recycling bins at all places in the airport area. I personally thought this kind of sensational message is helping to raise awareness, if not but at least inviting us to ponder about the meaning. My visit to the toilet also brought some surprise as I myself have not thought about it. We always complain about the dirtiness about top cover of the toilet bowl and most of the time it was wet. The most we might do is to rub it with toilet paper but try to forget about the dirtiness for the time being. But over here in the airport, a cleaning liquid dispenser is installed for you to clean it first. While we might not convince how clean and hygiene it is, but at least it erases our perception about how dirty it is. I am of the opinion that these small gestures is reachable, achievable and do able, it is only matter of observance and sensitive we are towards surrounding happenings and daily routine. If we care, we will definitely able to find a solution.

No comments: