Friday, December 14, 2012

Stage of LA 21

I was invited to talk on Post Rio+20 and The Way Forwards for Local Authorities recently. My audience was the officers from local authorities throughout Malaysia. Under the 10th Malaysia Plan, by right all local authorities have implemented the Local Agenda 21 Initiative. However, it proved me wrong as many who have attended the Talk seem not to understand or even to know about the Initiative. I am speechless to talk about Rio+20 because even Rio Earth Summit was not awared. I am not very sure is this because of apathy or too many other programmes that distract people attention and focus on LA 21. Perhaps it is time to relook and revisit the original objectives of Agenda 21 at local level and its roles in furthering sustainability for Local Government. During my recent visit to Rio+20 Summit and ICLEI World Congress in Brazil. I heard about how other local governments worldwide have eagerly pursuing sustainability and addressing challenges of climate change. So many good initiatives were shared and to be learnt. Looking at what others have done, I realised that although Petaling Jaya City Council has done numerous initiatives, much more can be and have to be done. Many Local Government showed their committment towards climate change mitigation and adapatation measures, But again here in Malaysia, many of us might not heard about the differences between mitigation and adapatation, I presume.

No comments: