Monday, April 26, 2010

Environmental Talk

I was invited to deliver a talk to the parents, teachers and students of Choon Wen Primary School last Friday on environmental issues and challenges. It was attended by about 100 people and ended in 2 and half hours. Apart from showing them the slide, I showed them some documentaries on environmental issues and what actions that can be taken individually or through collective actions. The presentation ended with a quiz and I presume many understood what I have tried to disseminate as most, if not all got the answers right.

I am very impressed with the enthusiasm shown by attendees especially the school authority and parents. The Headmaster spoke about environmental education and initiatives that the school has taken. These include recycling day once a week, campaign on 3R, handicraft making with recyclable items, greenery and planting and etc. I think they are on the right track for the honour of being sustainable school.

Many have shown great interest in learning how to save energy and water resources. One of the interesting thing is many are so passionate of going green, but quite often do not acquire the knowledge and skills of doing it. For example, many are of the view that it is ok for having remote control for electrical appliances such as TV, decoder and air-con but do not realise that it is energy consuming for putting the appliance into stand by mode. Well, perhaps it is for the purpose of convenience.

I am glad of giving the opportunity to share my thought and experience in environmentalism and I hope to do more in time to come.

No comments: