Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011

Happy New Year 2011.

This is the first time that I am writing a new year message with my posting as the Director for One Stop Secretariat (OSC). When I first started writing this blog during my tenure as Local Agenda 21 Officer, I touched on issues and challenges related to sustainable development as well as reporting on sustainable community initiatives. After shifting to other posting, I thought more focus will be given to other aspects of development and planning. However, this is not entire the case as many of my discussion is related directly or indirectly to the sustainability concern. In other words, planning is also about sustainability.

I believe that Year 2011 will see more debate on sustainability. How to sustain growth of a city within proper framework? How to ensure a quality and safer living environment? How to regenerate the old township and to bring back life to the dying trade? How to make commuting more accessible, affordable and comfortable? How to foster greater understanding and cohesiveness amongst residents? For us in OSC, how to make sure all the above can be achieved without compromising on the time frame for application processing and consideration.

While OSC is trying to keep process of every application within provided time line, the process cannot be completed due to many unforeseen factors such as incomplete information, new guidelines, people's opinion and others. Hopefully in this coming year, more informed decisions can be made within the time line. The launch of OSC Online for submission through Internet can help in expediting the process.

I wish the best for Local Agenda 21 implementation as well. After 10 years of programme running, it is time to reshape and re-synergies this good initiative. Making this a mass movement involving many grassroots as possible is the way forward. Through collaborative partnership, different stakeholders can pool in their expertise and resources for greater impact on sustainability. I am doing my part on this by ensuring that conditions on sustainability are adhered to. I will also facilitate the process of formulating a green city plan for Petaling Jaya.

We will always begin the new year with wishes for the whole year. I hope my wish will come true at the end of 2011.

No comments: