Monday, September 29, 2008

Beauty and Environment

I was invited to lecture the participants of a Beauty Contest on environmental challenges last Friday. The invitation was extended to me three days prior to the lecture day. Although in a short time, I accepted the invitation so that I have the chance to share my thoughts with the beauties. However, the bottom line is, I must confess to find out how do the beauties related to environmental education, a feet that I have never thought of.

To my surprise, more than half of them are quite expose to the global environmental issues and the causes and effects. Many, however did not realise that their little proactive and small gestures in the daily life can help to minimise the negative impact on environment. For example, thrifty in buying, M-way of life and etc. Having said this, at the end of the session, I was highly impressed with their attitude towards environmental education, hopefully it is the starting point for more practices to come. I am wondering if environmental education and awareness shall become a mandatory subject for all walk of life in any contest/syllabus ever since the participants of beauty contest are also required to learn.

One of the response that impressed me most during the engagement is their willingness to involve themselves directly in raising public environmental awareness campaign. I believe beauties' involvement will play an important role as their stardom and image as a public figure might be able to influence the followers/supporters especially the youth to practice environmental-friendly way to life.

Perhaps for a successful Local Agenda 21 PJ, appointing a beauty as the LA 21 PJ Ambassador is not a bad idea.

No comments: